If you are interested in proposing a future piece for Swampland, take note of the following.
We commission long-form criticism, journalism and photography that focuses on Australian music.
The articles we are most keen to feature are those that tell a distinct narrative. This could be a profile of a musician or band—established or relatively unknown; it could be a story about an under-appreciated juncture in Australian music history; it could be the history of a strange, underground label or an outsider musician. These pieces should take the reader into the world of the subject and build a detailed and interesting story.
Keep in mind:
- We don’t discriminate by genre—as long as it’s a good story, it’s okay by us.
- We are especially interested in pieces that go outside of Sydney and Melbourne.
- As we work on an intermittent schedule, pieces can’t date quickly.
- We don't commission reviews of live shows.
- Pieces should be within the ballpark of 1500-5000 words.
We pay all contributors; price is negotiable depending upon the length and scope of the proposed piece.
Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to give individual feedback on all pitches that we receive.
Swampland 05 is due out in November 2018. Please direct all submissions or pitches to email@example.com